Thursday 21 September 2017

7. Best day ever

Sailing the Norfolk Broads

Woke to the sound of wind in the trees - Yes!  I had already looked and the slack tide was 1300 so the late start following the 0200 bedtime following last nights board meeting didn't matter. After shower and breakfast the priority was fixing the microwave cupboard door which would open unexpectedly when doing dishes or cooking either barking ones shins or giving a good crack to a toe causing the utterance of a choice Latin word or two.  Thanks to my new cordless screwdriver and hex drive bits I was onto the job before the majority of the family had risen.

Jobs done I turned to the boat, resplendent in its fitted cover.  I cobbled up a shoulder strap from a tie down strap and headed for the slipway one hundred metres away the dinghy rumbling behind me on its new wheels - most satisfactory.  It was high tide so I rigged, which takes only minutes thanks to the gaff rig and under Roman's direction slipped the boat into the water where it bobbed expectantly while I looked on grinning like a duffer.
Stock snap as I didn't have a camera on the boat

Sliding aboard and cast off by Roman I was delighted with the balance.  The rear sheeting main takes a little getting used to and manning the main and jib single handed had me doing some lovely macrame and I am sure I saw a decent cats cradle at one point.

The wind which I guess was gusting ten knots was running about 20ยบ port of directly down the River Yare which meant tacking at right angles then doing an angles beat up the river - grin still in place. The rushes at the sides are, I guess about six feet tall and line both banks.

One can sail right up to them before tacking.  It was very amusing watching the Hullabaloos trying to judge how to get past me as I tacked back and forth alternatively overpowered or rapidly rounding up in the lulls. Had some nice reaches down parts and was delighted that I had, by eye, stood the rig up four side stay holes and enjoyed a perfectly balanced helm. Headed for the Hardley Mill which is fully operational.  Though I was constrained for time I couldn't resist and had a quick peak, joining a tour of three with the operating engineer right to the top.  Absolutely fascinating with everything rumbling and creaking.  It was only on writing this that I learnt there is a £3 visitor fee!

Tacking home for the first fifteen minutes was slow against the tide but is slacked and once round the first corner I enjoyed the tight reach, sitting well forward with the water gurgling off the bow.  I must saw I am very impressed with the Mirror Dinghy, it is a delight to sail and didn't ship a drop of water.

After lunch I took the kids for a sail but by now the tide was on the ebb so at best I only got fifty metres upstream with each of them in about ten tacks.

Reedham Railway Swing Bridge 

A mile downstream from camp is the Reedham Swing Bridge
Ro departing the Rotating Bridge
which I have been very keen to visit ever seeing it in the excellent BBC film of Coot Club. It was a lovely bike ride there, Jacqueline was in Great Yarmouth for a few hours.

While we didn't see it open we did enjoy seeing a computer train clattering overhead.

Thinking we will depart for Kent, Saturday and have booked the ferry from Dover for Monday morning.  £117 which is very reasonable considering the size of our rig and six people.

Watched Kevin McClouds Escape to the Wild - Chile which is on Lucy, Jago and family's life in Chile.  Absolutely inspiring and we are lucky to have them as friends.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see the Mirror out & about. Wheels look good. Tim

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.