Monday 9 October 2017

25. Faux Pilgrims

Mont-St-Michel

Manageable crowds
Contacted the UK Phantom tech support for the Giantavan’s alarm and tracker and got everything holding hands. I was lucky with my schematic guesses, everything worked. Still to get micro switches and fit, for the two external lockers. During the on hold advertising Phantom talked about their ECU reflash service and claimed to do over two thousand vehicles a year which is certainly impressive. When I enquired of the support tech. he said “oh, that director left a year ago and nobody else knew how to do it so we no longer offer the service. We were only ever did a couple a month and it wasn’t worth the hassle”.

Was surprised that the nav stated that it was a two hour journey to the Mount. As we got closer I realised that it must include the three and a half kilometre walk. We took the same snaps as everybody else and bought the same things. I also bought a flash sailing jersey. The children were lining up many purchases however when I stated they could buy whatever they wanted but it would be from their own savings it was amazing how it curbed their desires. Audrey and Fyfe purchased very nice oak swords and Iris and I decided that the €50 trebuchet kit could be scratch built. Should be fun.

My previous visit was with Jennifer, as was Jacqueline’s, on a separate occasions so it was a very different visit with family. The day cumulated with Roman being outraged on the bus when he didn’t get a seat for as the bus occupants learned “The only reason he was looking forward to the bus was because he was going to get to sit down”. There was only one bus running so I reached out and dragged him on.

It was lovely visiting with no queues, no crowds, watching the pilgrims covering the significant distance, avoiding the channels. I was amazed how many pilgrims there were. I did not feel I had
missed out by walking across the new raised causeway. The whole place felt cherished, quite different from some of the cathedrals visited and you could see that it was still very much in use as a religious centre. My previous visit we crossed on the hard-fill causeway and I was surprised how Mont-St-Michel wasn’t really an island back then. Itched to sail on that estuary, would be fantastic.

On the way there and back we saw many semi-freedom cam-pers in allocated areas so will have to investigate that possibility further.


Pilgrims progress
Audrey & Fyfe were delighted that this embrasure included sword holders



3 comments:

  1. Your task, should you choose to accept it: get a good photo of all the kids together (or all of you if you can manage it). I'd like to print one out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your challenge accept I do (Yoda, we are working our way through Star Wars)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.