Sunday 22 October 2017

38. Back on the Water

SAINT-PHILBERT-DE-GRAND-LIEU, FRANCE

Rain thundered through the night waking us at intervals.  Must say, caravan wins over tent hands down when weather inclement. Morning shower was a endurance exercise as the mornings seem to be about twelve degrees with only tepid water raining down.

Fyfe's photos from the caravan
Jennifer translating Asterix
Anyways, its been six days since I self harmed and the doctor said keep it dry for seven so, I think I've  done pretty well, for me.... and.... look at that water.  The site was very relaxed about giving me a key to the water gate, the wind was promising, kids were entertaining the import (Jennifer) so off I went.  By the time I was set up, the wind was perfect however it was one in the afternoon and people need feeding, as do I.  Chicken soup (yesterdays roast), with veggies added, cooked for six hours, fantastic.  Back out again at about two thirty and .... complete calm.  Bugger.  Sails down and off for a row with Roman steering and Audrey doing a lot of the rowing. Turns out much of the water is really shallow but it was lovely.

Camp playground
By the time we were done there was some wind, now from the North so Jennifer and I went for a sail which was good fun, with the trees the wind was gusting and swinging up to ninety degrees and the lake is very shallow in places with a lot of debris.  In what can best be described as a roll tack (possibly forgot to release the jib and may have tripped on the hiking straps*) we dipped the gunwale however all was saved by Jennifer's bottom preventing too much water entering the boat.  Possibly would have been preferable had she been not wearing the only trousers she brought for the weekend.

Children enjoying the campsite, Audrey mapping the territory, doctoring the camp map, the water we were sailing on now named Saflement River which the natives (and Google) call La Boulogne.
Audrey's Map

* haven't sailed a boat with these for about thirty years

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.