Tuesday 31 October 2017

47. Trick or treat

ILE DE RÉ - FRANCE

Two months on the road, time for a haircut.  Audrey and Fyfe were keen so, with a pair of scissors each the task was completed, with a minimum of faffing about.  After all, who cares, its not like anybody will see me as I'm the bloke behind the camera.  As my saltnpepper locks fell around me (surely those aren't mine?) I remembered that there is one person arriving next week who might care.  Hoping that the old saying the only difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is a week has substance.  Were I to criticise, I would mention that I do seem to be a little thin on top.

Audrey talking to Jacqueline
Audrey and my projects started
Jacqueline phoned and for the first time since she left on her OE to the southern hemisphere we all had a good old chat for a few hours.  Took a bit of setting up as I had to balance my phone on top of the awning then chat via bluetooth headphones.  Worked well though I do tend to pace around outside, in small circles when not tethered.

After lunch Audrey tackled the pumpkin and I prepped and painted the timbers used for getting the dinghy, now named Teasel, on and off the car.  Have ordered sign writing online for the new name (previous name unknown), delivery to EnT, Holyport.

Fyfe has to re-inflate his rear tyre daily
Hunter gatherers
The children spent much of the afternoon raiding stands of bamboo for hut building, discretely hiding the evidence (leaves etc).  Bamboo does well here.  Most of the trees are old man Macrocarpa and with the sand underfoot it really reminds me of the New Brighton campground, a favourite summer campsite for my Dad's family as a kid in the nineteen fifties.

Audrey and my projects were successful and as I write hers is shining out, in front of our caravan, and will be seen by ..... absolutely no-one, apart from you dear reader, it being low season and we have put ourselves at the far end, not under trees but in full sun.  It is further from services but has given us a large area for ourselves.  Apart from the American tac in the shops I have seen no evidence of Halloween here.

My, now painted, boat ladder system will provide inspiration and envy for generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.