Friday 16 February 2018

155. What's that smell?

Marrakesh Médina

Medersa Ben Youssef was our intended target to visit yesterday afternoon however we struggled to locate it from the get go. The problem being that if you pause or stop, driving or walking, there is immediately someone offering to help you. Taking directions in any country is a dubious exercise as, without the constraint of accountability, people don't receive the necessary feedback. Norfolk UK people for example are, in my experience, helpful and obviously lost themselves. Young men in Marrakech are extremely engaging and helpful but more interested in the tip which regardless of the size when given look appalled at their open hand and say it is not enough. I fell for this once and after being shown the way for about two minutes gave enough for ten loaves of bread (at European prices). On reflection, instead of doubling I should have taken the money back.

Turned out he had taken us to the wrong place anyway. The parking touts are the same and yesterday I fell for it stopping eight hundred metres short. It would be simpler to stay focused/less gullible were I not equipped with a team of travel advisers onboard. After wandering a multitude of alleys we ended up at the Marakesh Museum with an entry equal to fourteen euro. The building itself is lovely with internal courtyards but the displays unengaging.  I commented to Jac that were I allowed to take what I wanted I would leave empty handed. Looking at our DK Eyewitness Guide now, which we didn't have with us at the time, it agrees and I quote While the museums exhibits are generally unengaging - the rotating collection includes ceramics and a thin collection of traditional crafts - the building itself is splendid. Couldn't agree more, lovely shed, crap displays.

After this we wandered the alleys with all the fantastic stalls and shops. Scarf suckage stopped us for awhile then camel souvenirs (Audrey ended up with three (these guys are professionals (we are like lambs to them))). Reeling away from the souvenir man we got sucked into a spice shop by the typically engaging young man sporting a Bieber.
Audrey's camel stall
Perfumery & Spices
The perfumes are pure blocks of Sandalwood / Amber / and many others I can't remember, that you rub directly onto the skin. He mixed a tiny bit of a white crystal with warm water which we sniffed, blowing our sinuses, turned out to be menthol. The children sat on a lovely side bench munching filled baguettes that I had pre-made (Audrey able to dose) while he worked on Jacqueline. I bought premixed tanginess spice Jacqueline bought an Amber perfume stick and Iris, Argan soap.

Thank you for the direct messages commenting or advising, really appreciate them. Please try using the ✏️ icon below so that they are attached to this blog. Let me know if it doesn't let you post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.