Monday 6 November 2017

53. Sticking it to the Frenchman

Aquitaine Region - Forty three kilometres SSW of Bordeaux

With the late arrival yesterday, there was much to do today. First task as Jac was arriving LHR today was to get her Grandarse temporary cover. Not quite as easy as I thought due to its age (the car) however duly arranged in time for her midday arrival. Turns out you can insure any car here online for up to a month, the Grandarse costing £95 for a week which, now that I am numbed to the UKs costs, seems not bad.

I was interrupted while gassing to sister Elizabeth on the phone by devastated children as I had removed half their logins on two of the laptops. May have made a blue there as I have since discovered that Parental Controls lets me allocate them nought minutes a day. This I have now done so that they only get playtime when they have completed some Mathsbuddy. May not get away with that one either.

While putting up the awning a Frenchman wandered up and attempted to make conversation about the enormous size of the Giantavan. During conversation via the translate App on my phone I noticed that he had a plastic glove on and much blood. I now know the drill and insisted that he take his glove off and, yes, he had slashed himself opening an oyster. By now, he had pulled a family crowd and the five of us set about making good his finger. It possibly needed a stitch or two but I was able to sluce it with three capsules of something I got from the vet for my finger, clean it with sterile wipes etc. Iris cut a butterfly plaster guided by her recently read SAS Survival Guide and I made the best job I could. It was not as big or deep as mine and he has promised to return tomorrow to have it redressed.

We seem to have stalled Autumn with the trees here at the same stage of foliage as they were fifty days ago in the Norfolk broads but, now we have camped inland, the nights are significantly colder. Did another load of washing today and it is hanging in the Giantavan so will leave the built in electric heater going all night.

Been cooking a lot of French fries (chups ya Kiwi readers) and today noticed potatoes specially labelled Frites. Certainly more convenient with our micro freezer than frozen kilo bags of chips. The five of us can scoff a kilo in one meal. We also made Kumura chips as Kumura, like Cabbage Trees are plentiful in France.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.