Friday 17 November 2017

64. More blood letting

SAINT-JEAN-DE-LUZ - FRANCE (NEAR SPAIN)

Roman joining two already in
Twenty eight degrees?
We rose with Audrey champing at the bit to swim in the covered twenty eight degree, pool. After breakfast there was a frustrating search for my togs for about an hour till I gave it up as a bad job and resigned myself to being a pool side flake with Mr Bryson for company. Arriving at the pool I expectantly dipped a toe in and withdrew it, glad for the lack of kit.  Roman had found the thermometer so I took the snap on the right as ammunition for the pending discussion with the office.

Bill was enthusing about the delights of climbing to a trig station, and his dismay at their passing, something we can all relate to, when stifled shrieks from Iris, making her way to the ladder caught my attention.  I must say, my attention was further focused by the trail of blood on the tiles as she staggered over to where I was lolling. I ran back to the Giantavan to find that Jacqueline had locked it and left (we have differing views on security) so I made my way to reception and asked for a first aid kit, using Google translate, only to be told that there wasn't one and I would have to use my own. On showing her the photo attached on the right, a miracle occurred and she, enlightened by the miracle, went straight to the very cupboard in which the miracle had instantaneously installed a first aid kit - amazing.

After patching Iris up, a clean little cut on her second toe, I returned the first aid kit and enquired as to why the manager had not arrived? I was told that he was busy (or something similar).  I replied on my translater S'il vous plaît dites à votre directeur qu'il n'est pas occupé, il me verra immédiatement. Another miracle, he appeared in twenty seconds, accompanied me to the pool, agreed with my suggestion that he clean up the blood and yes, the broken tile on the bottom was dangerous.  He also agreed that the pool was not twenty eight degrees and that workmen had serviced the heater the day before and hadn't turned it back on. Turns out that they had put some spare tiles over a missing grate on the bottom of the pool and one had broken.  See the pool snap above, the tiles are the grey area on the left.

Smart, init?
Thrashed rowlock socket
After lunch I had a crack at the newly named Teasel, taking great delight in applying the name to transom, bow and, um, what do you call the forward panels either side of the bow on a pram dinghy?  Very pleased with the eBay stickers ordered to match the sails.

The job at hand was to install, with limited tools, the Vintage 12mm Chrome Brass Top Mount Rowlock Sockets (their description, not mine) as the last time we rowed Teasel I was concerned that the sockets were becoming so ovaloid that the rowlocks would pull out, stranding us.
 
Various chaps wandering the campground stopped to draw on their cigarettes and mutter while watching.  I smiled, waved and pressed on, not at all sure the job would be a success. The old wood was pried apart and liberal coatings of waterproof pva applied as both a glue and a sealer as that was all I had.  I put Teasel to bed tonight pleased with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.