Wednesday 13 December 2017

90. How to avoid getting malled

Costa da Caparica - Lisbon - Portugal

Don't know how I would get the Giantavan in if there were other caravans
Under threat of a mall visit I successfully argued that I needed a day at base camp to do maintenance. Most pressing was the leak that developed during the week of severe rain that we have had till a couple of days ago. After dropping half the family into Lisbon, Roman had decided that we was a MacDonald for the day and Iris ensconced in a book, I tackled the leak. As it appeared under the bathroom cabinet I summited the Giantavan, cleaned and applied mastic to the top seam where the walls joined the roof in that general area, glad that I had fitted a permanent ladder for roof access.

Lisbon Architecture
Lisbon
When the family returned tonight I was appalled to discover water seeping out again onto the floor as it is two days since the last rain. After the children were in bed, riot quelled, I dismantled the bathroom joinery and discovered a leaking fitting.  Following this discovery I rethought my assumptions and realised that about the time it started raining a week or so ago we started connecting to the water mains thanks to the fitting that Brian purchased for us. I did not make this connection (pun intended) until the evidence was before me tonight. Normal operation when not connected to the mains is the lifting of a tap turns on a pump and the water is pressurised which means that when a tap is off there is no pressure in the system, so no leaks. Caravan taps have a micro switch in them to turn on a twelve Volt pump when the mixer handle is lifted.

Yet to tackle the tail light fitting but sister Elizabeth posted the replacement number plate today.
Barnaby with Iris' home made Christmas bags

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.