Saturday 16 December 2017

93. Knocked it up over the weekend

COSTA DA CAPARICA - LISBON - PORTUGAL

Brian, shortly before the hose fitting
blew off and got him in the face - chuckle
A three euro tarp as an awning groundsheet was this mornings exciting development .... that and Brian discovering that he could use his portable washing machine on his bike rack giving it enough elevation to drain properly. I must be living in a world of diminished horizons with the result that I assume you will find such things interesting .... travelled body, narrowed mind or something.

Three months ago, back bumper intact
Wire in capping - nice job Philip
Tackled the tail lights today with few tools and a desire to keep what remains of the factory wiring intact for when I purchase a new Hobby bumper and factory tail lights. Left the new lights outside last night and one (see photo) had water inside. It always impresses me how poorly it is possible to design these type of things. I remember a colleague saying that the parts shop he worked for in NZ marked up parts like taillights one thousand percent. That means the shop payed about three euro and fifty cents for these lights.  I wish they had pushed the boat out and bought a four euro assembly as I am sure the extra five euro cost to me would have been worth it in terms of quality.

The wiring used to come out inside the bumper and as I don't want to modify it so that it will reconnect to the factory lights when I purchase them I am cable tying them up to the handle and adding jump wiring. It is going to look ghastly but there is little alternative.  Tomorrow I will do continuity checks between the plug at the front and my wiring at the rear before connecting to the Disco. Will probably use the earth wire of my fifteen metre extension cord as I don't have nine metres of suitable cable otherwise - needs must.

I feel like I am almost finished but as they say ninety percent finished - fifty percent to go.

Cable tied to handle, a nod to Mr Heath Robinson
What a mess Philip
Audrey and Mary coerced Brian and Sheena into taking them back to the mega mall as the outdoor rink opened today. I happily waved them off in the Disco, delighted to be a remainer. Roman however was devastated to be left behind but has never skated.  Hours later they all returned. Turns out the refrigeration machine wasn't man enough to better the thirteen degree day and it became a rink of slush. Brian was delighted as the sight of the extensive queue control ropes had him contemplating his future will to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.