Tuesday 11 September 2018

362. Two hops

Holyport

Excellent free simulator in a display
Advertising a museum in Salzburg.
Here Audrey driving Roman,
more snaps at bottom of page.
Had to tear myself away

Off to the UK today for a conference in Bedfordshire tomorrow and Thursday. Did manage to fit in a swim in the lake out to the raft, which, before departing, was absolutely delicious.


For some undisclosed reason the flight out of Vienna was delayed ninety minutes which was tedious as I needed to drop samples off at Wexham Hospital for Audrey and was meeting the Holyport lads then biking to Bridge House pub in Touchen End for dinner.
Redbull Hanger 7 from the departure lounge
Arriving overhead London
is always a joy
Obviously been dry in Vienna
On booking, a rental car offer had come up at four pounds per day which was too good to pass up. The only downside was the off-airport collection which is always a hassle. Arriving LHR I then had a half hour wait for the Hoppa Bus to the Holiday Inn rental car site. Arriving at the office there were two staff on, serving two people. It took another twenty five minutes for the one to come free as one of the staff was doing a fantastic job of up selling the Indian couple here for a three week tour of the UK. A couple of fantastic quotes for the staff member while I waited You have said you are visiting Scotland, you have hired a Toyota Vitz which though a very good car it is not really suitable for a mountainous country like Scotland and with much back and fourth a Vauxhall Insignia was settled on. It then occurred to the clerk that he could save them further money with a diesel and the whole process was repeated. The clerk then said I know that you are going to use your phone for navigation but here in the UK data is very expensive and not reliable in mountainous areas so I recommend a GPS at ten pounds per day, they thanked him profusely and signed up. They were still discussing insurance at length when the other clark came free for the man in front of me. While we had been waiting the man before me and I had been discussing why they don’t ask all these questions during the online booking process and just check ID and licence and hand one the keys when one arrives. Of course the up-selling we had watched is the reason. The lady before us had been texting every question the clerk asked to her husband in Australia then waiting for his reply - not a quick process. When the man before me went up after the Australian lady was complete I went up also and wrote the answer to every question on a serviette. When it was my turn, without a word, I passed the serviette to the clerk who laughed, did all the processing (half a novel of typing) and said thank you, handing me the keys. I departed for the collection point leaving the Indian couple still discussing their insurance options.

On arriving at the open collection office in the light drizzle there was nobody there and after another ten minutes a nice bloke arrived and apologised that he had been on his break.

I then drove in the dark and rain to Wexham Hospital in Slough to drop off Audrey's samples and failed, after walking for miles, as I was too late.

Arrive nine thirty at the pub and had a great night with Paul*, Ed, Bryan, Tim and brother Tony. Wish I had taken a snap. I did leave my sports jacket there though.


Note, none of them are on the road in the photos

*Apologies Paul for leaving you off the original post. Was hoping to visit and see your new motor but ran out of time.

1 comment:

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.