Wednesday 5 September 2018

356. Lessons

MONDSEE, NEAR SALZBURG, AUSTRIA


Started the day with the lovely exchange above with Isabel Maddren, daughter of ancient* friends Charles and Juliet who, by chance, is here in Mondsee also. Will hopefully see her and friends in the next couple of days.

First day without rain which was very welcome as the camp is very damp and we are keep to get outside, that being the whole point of this adventure. 

Fiddled around and put up a sunshade so that our precious children don't melt in the sun, went for a swim and sanded and painted the patch on Teasels rump.

After lunch am onshore  breeze sprang up, about four or five knots, perfect nursery breeze to get Matthew, all six feet plus of him sailing as he had been foolish enough to express an interest. Stepped the mast in the forward step, a feature of all Mirror Dinghies so that you can sail them without the jib and still have a balanced helm. Went for a quick check sail and Teasel sailed beautifully. Returning to Mathew we stood beside the boat demonstrating how to sheet the main tight (not too tight, the tip of the boom over the back corner should do it) and how to sail with the main almost backing then loaded him in, and pushed him off. As he sailed off into the distance I realised that I still had the oars and that I did not mention how to sail downwind as it is pretty obvious. Through the camera lens after about an hour I could see him across the lake, pointing down wind still close hauled. Never mind, the sun was out and I was feeling sleepy so I lay down for a snooze. Disappointingly, Matthew made it back unscathed denying me a tale for my blog, most unsporting of him.

Clare, Maisey and Edward while the captain is at sea
Audrey

Something for the blog?
Dam, nope
*same age as me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.