Monday 8 January 2018

116. Posting Mother back into the computer

Cádiz & Jerez

Mothers last day and I have a Christmas obligation that I am looking forward to fulfilling and also aware that it is last chance to honour my promise. Many years ago, Auntie Stephanie (my sister) started taking her nephews and nieces out for an afternoon treat, without parents or siblings. This year my siblings decided we would do the same for my Mum though my treacherous sister Elizabeth took our Mum to Clivedon, the dirty rat, setting an impossible benchmark in our competition for love. I think I will be OK though, as to date I am far ahead.

Mother packed out of her cabin and we set off for Cádiz Mum n son, lucky thing. The trip is through many miles of wetlands then along the beach with the estuary inland. Beautiful drive. Cádiz itself didn't impress as it is kilometres of forty year old high-rise apartments for kilometre after kilometre. Finally, at the end of the road, through a old city wall sliced ungraciously by the road as they so often are, is old Cádiz which has retained some of its charm. Loved the orange trees lining the streets.

We drove a lap through tiny streets and tried two underground parks however the clang bars hit the roof rack so we had to back out. There are cars jammed every where as parking is obviously desperate. I saw many flat tyres as often apartment holders are not prepared to use their cars and loose their spot. Have been softened up by Windsor parking at eight pounds per hour I am happy to use European city legitimate parking as it is usually under two Euros per hour so we took a park at Castle of Santa Catalina and walked into the old town looking for a good restaurant, hopefully good enough to top that pile that my smarmy sister delivered.....

One hour later ...... where do people eat?.... run-in outa time ..... gota deliver..... Mother flagging ..... bars, cafés, no restaurants, Google failing me. Park Mum in a square to admire the, ummmm, ambience? and set off at the trot...... flagging, resorted to a taxi ...... dam, should have done that an hour ago...... collected Mother ..... dropped at lovely Restaurant with only an hour to go ..... dam.

Beautiful place with a perfect waiter, distinguished and absolutely disdaining. After confirming with great difficulty, as he spoke no English, that we didn't have a reservation he was good enough to locate us a table in the empty restaurant. I was so grateful, in fact obsequious in my thanks, though proud that my obvious personal stature swung the table in our favour.

We both had a range Cádiz fried fish which was at least five different types of fish. Very nice indeed. Unfortunately, due to our now time constraint we were not able to have dessert or coffees which was disappointing. 

Arrivals board
Departure board, airport rammed
Taxi back to car; Disco to camp; Jac had the children ready for a Le-Mans start and we were off to Jerez airport as mother had received a SMS from BA advising her that due to congestion at the airport Mother needed to be checked in at least ninety minutes before her flight. Raced along in the Disco at an the unprecedented speed, not seen since we lived in the UK of one hundred and thirty kilometres per hour and got to the airport ninety three minutes before her flight - phew, though concerned that we were at the wrong airport as it looked like Timaru airport during a pilot strike.

Security was efficient
Raced in and pleased to see three checkins operating and absolutely no public to be seen, felt like Christchurch railway station. Four in the afternoon, no arrivals scheduled and two departures, thanks BOAC you plonkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.