Tuesday 2 January 2018

110. Mary and Stuff

PORTIMAO, THE ALGARVE, PORTUGAL

DIY
As the family was yet to rise I thought I would have breakfast with my Mum, in her apartment, at the top of the camp ground. Started the Disco to roll up the hill and the dreaded check engine light stayed on, car appeared to run fine. Went into Portimao to get a switch for the kitchen tap while we wait for the replacement eBay micro switch to come from the UK. The Disco was in limp-mode which is a bit like I now felt. I think it would still tow the Giantavan but decided to get the fault code read to see if it was serious.

Back to Roady to see if they can read Disco fault codes and the nice lady on reception told me that they don't do work on Discos and their OBD2 tool was not compatible. I said that was OK but could I see their code reader please? She produced a Bosch KTS340 reader of which I am familiar and is a pretty flash, though dated, piece of kit. I explained that JLR set was standard in these readers so she went and asked the service manager who said I should return when they reopened at two.

Cast adrift by the MacDonalds
Back to camp to make lunch and learnt that Brian & Sheena had succumbed to family pressure and leaving today to start their journey across into the bottom of Spain to join Brian's brother's family as they had intended to be with them for Christmas then New Year. Can't argue with that and it has been a wonderful six weeks with them. We are sad to see them go. Their daughter Mary has been a great friend to Audrey and I think has mostly enjoyed having a little brother, Roman. Brian and Sheena had been invigorating company and we will miss them. We are hoping to meet up with them again as we are both heading round the Med March-ish.

Returning to Roady with my Mum we were ushered straight in and a very competent technician got straight onto the job and diagnosed two faults.
  1. P023D - Overboost
  2. P045C - EGR Valve fault
Kid avoiding chopper continues to be a hit
Phew. Roady offered to remove the EGR valves and clean them for about a hundred and fifty euro but on talking to my colleague Mark in the UK this seldom works for long. EGR valves are a service item so the local JLR dealer at Faro should have them in stock as they fit the XJ, Rodney and Disco. Was hoping to delete the EGR valves and install blanking plates but my Disco is one year too new and would require a ECU remap.  Might save that for back in NZ. Pretty confident that the occasional over boost fault is caused by the sticking EGR valves. The tech reset the fault codes and the light hasn't returned but am keen to get it sorted.

Back into Roady a nine in the morning, with a folding bike in the back of the Disco so that I am not stranded there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.