Saturday 20 January 2018

128. Knuckle cracking

CONIL DE LA FRONTERA, CADIZ, SPAIN 

The EGR valves arrived today so after a bit of research realised I needed a T27 Torx bit as well as tools. Went into the local private hardware store with Matthew, his son Edward (4) and Roman. Ummed and ahed over a comprehensive, briefcase sized tool set  at eighty euros that contained everything I needed and decided it was too heavy and too expensive and decided to look elsewhere. Drove to another hardware store and wrote down what I needed and the old gaffer shook his head but when I spotted the bit I needed in a set in a display case a younger guy sold me the bit individually for €1.50 - success.


Feeling chuffed I headed back to camp. Matthew had a few ½ sockets and a ratchet with an extension and I also borrowed a nice little Teng ¼ drive set for smaller sockets from another camper and an adapter to drive the purchased torx bit.

Roman up at Edward's set up competing veg shops 
At this point, feeling pleased with myself I cracked on. That is to say I cracked my knuckles a few times undoing some very hard to get at bolts. Eventually I got the starboard EGR valve off and in the process of fitting the new valve in its impossible location while aligning the new stainless gasket bumped the rear torx bolt out of its flange and it rattled into the depths of the Disco's engine bay - bugger, have to take the sump guard off now. Duly did this and no sign of the bolt - double bugger. Posted Fyfe under the car with a torch and magnet without success. I think it is M6 and I think a cap screw will do the job nicely but that will have to wait till Monday as everything is shut now. Were I in the UK I would just Amazon Prime it for tomorrow or Monday but here eBay seems to take about a week. 

Tackled the port side EGR and quickly realised I needed spanners. There is also an exhaust pipe in the way so that will take some investigation. Where is Mr Luney and his tools when I need him? In hindsight I failed this morning. Roady wanted a total €930 to do this job. So far I have only spent £220 plus the €1.5 torx bit. Should have bought the €80 tool set when I had the chance - false equation.

As I go to bed I have a disabled car, no shops open tomorrow for tools and a lost bolt that I will have to source - sounds like an own goal at this stage, but then for what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn.

Tomorrow the San Sebastian Carnival passes the campsite stopping here at ten am. Should be fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.