Monday 26 March 2018

193. Old Friends

Ashburton

While staggering around prepping breakfast, my Mum's gardener appeared out in the garden. We were introduced and she turned out to be a local dairy farmer running a gardening business on the side.  A very interesting lady and I am sure my Mum didn't mind paying her rate while we amicably chatted.  

My Mum had mentioned that her hedge man was not available until May and that her Buxus hedges had enjoyed the wet, hot summer. The gardener suggested her newly sharpened hedge shears were in her truck so off I set. Yesterday I had thought of driving to S&I's to borrow their electric hedge trimmer but it wasn't worth the hour and a half round trip. I discovered that manual shears are a joy as neither hearing or eye protection is required and it is possible to chat while clipping. I was impressed that they were Fiskers. After many metres I was flagging and turning to my Mum I happened to hold the shears by the hinges and they were really hot (there is a lot of hedge). I found a can of WD40 in the garage and after that I was Edward Sissorhands with clippings flying in all directions and the shears clacking at many hertz.

After lunch Mummy and her boy went into Ashburton. I loaded my Grandfathers chair into her Evoke as new fabric had arrived from England for it. She was concerned that it wouldn't fit but I assured her that, with a decent run up, either her car would grow or the chair shrink. We decided we would get the replacement roses for the ones we all yanked out yesterday on the way home.

Met at Tinwald Upholstery by a super nice chap who enthused about both the chair and the fabric to cover it. Absolutely superb bedside manner and a joy to deal with. Turned out to be the son of family friend Keith Pickford so that explained it (nice family). He is to deliver the chair finished in two days! Unbelievable service.

Next we returned curtain samples to Redmonds. Chris Redmond boarded with Douglas and me at StAC and I found and disturbed him eating his lunch in a nearby café. It was good to catch up and learn what our local old boys were up to.

Heartland Bank was our next stop and Sally Tarbottom who's family had been firm friends of my parents and good friend of mine at Youth Group heard what she described as "your distinctive voice"* came out front to say hello. Another great chat as her dad Colin also had oesophageal cancer as did my Dad with the same final outcome. It was also the chance to commiserate the death of her lovely sister Dr. Jane Burrell a couple of years ago. 

I asked if we could visit Alisa Lovett who, with Ralph had been the first to welcome my parents to the district sixtyish years ago. They had been very good to us over the years and we children stayed with them many times. Great to hear all that their family are up to. When I first walked in I hardly recognised her but within five minutes couldn't see any change. She was very up to speed on all that we were up to and interested in our travels.


Next was Mother's friend Barbara who is moving after many years. Barbara is well read and travelled and we stayed far too long but the visit was too good to leave politely after twenty five minutes.

Needless to say we didn't get the new roses as it was seven thirty in the evening by the time we drove past on the way home.

*I can't imagine what she meant?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.