Friday 15 June 2018

274. Journey through middle earth

Lake Annecy, (near Geneva), France

Google
Co-Pilot knows our speeds on the different roads
 Caravan selected, bottom right
Huge drive today, through the Mt Blanc Tunnel, all eleven and a half kilometres of it for fifty nine euro for the Disco and Giantavan, less than the road tolls for the day. Popping out into Chamonix, the location of my dreams since watching repeatedly the documentary on the nineteen seventies ski gods at Chaminox. I still have it on both my phone and laptop and watched it again recently. Chamonix, I will return, another time, another season (with skis that are too long and too old to quote a Frenchman next to me on the lift, Three Valleys, 2017). I was staggered how rough the road was inside the tunnel, particularly the first half. Wonder if it is due to the fire? Vehicles were released one at a time to drive at one hundred and fifty metre spacing at a speed of fifty to seventy kilometres per hour to maintain spacing. It is the only tunnel that we have seen with opposing traffic. Makes me wonder why we have to drag through the Lyttelton Tunnel at fifty. On that note I love how we flow through Europe, virtually absent from traffic lights - Christchurch City Council take note you dunces.

Phoned at six by Camping Les Rives Du Lac wondering where we were as the office closed at seven. Thankfully they left a remote for the gate out for us. We were very surprised to find the campsite absolutely full. The surprise being that our last camp site was better and empty - go figure.

A few snaps taken by Jacqueline while we were driving






2 comments:

  1. Heading back on yourselves... Not tempted to go further into Italy?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.