Friday 22 June 2018

281. Almost a swim

Lake Annecy - The French Alps

3.6 km in each direction
Most days have been around three to four knots but today was promising eight to ten knots, perfect for sailing. Got the kids going on Mathsbuddy while I prepped Teasel. Finally got everything ready and we hit the water mid afternoon. Had to turn back as I had mis-threaded the main as the block on the boom is not on a swivel. Had to turn back a second time as the mainsail lacing onto the mast came adrift - duffer. Mirror Dinghy’s have rear sheeting which takes a bit of getting used to but it does keep the main out of the way and we fitted four comfortably though stopped Iris hiking as I doubted she could recover should we heel windward.

Sailed on a tightish port beat making the far shore. The wind was strong enough to have good white caps and we punched into the waves often with spray showering over us, the benefit of warm weather and warm water as we were only in togs and life jackets. Roman was on the foredeck and a bit apprehensive initially but, surprisingly, Iris was upbeat so he
Venturi fitted in floor to suck water out
took solace from that. I must admit that there was more wind than ideal and I was very glad for the venturi as we had a lot of water coming onboard with the steepish waves and the pram bow. A largish tourist ferry came close with us all waving and the Captain gave us a few blasts on the horn, a wave and a thumbs up, not bad for a boat with a large GBR on the main and NZ ensign fluttering from the masthead. I guess it was around twelve knots. The children knew that I had cash in pocket so were keen to dispose of some of it on making the far shore.

Lots of rocker (front to back curve)
As we made the far shore I realised that there weren’t any villages within easy reach so we turned for a broad reach home and scooted along quite happily, not getting showered. Mirror Dinghys have a lot of rocker so don’t bury the bow which makes a nice change. About half way across Fyfe shouted Wave and we got picked up by the starboard rear and thrown, Iris pitched into the boat with a scream. I let fly the main which travels easily having only two purchases and bore away as hard as I could (years of balancing R Class Skiffs). I thought we were going over (we nearly did) - not a happy thought - so much so that I woke during the night thinking about righting the boat holding onto Roman, organising others and getting going again. On the plus side there were plenty of others on the water who could/would have helped I am sure, mostly kite surfers. I admit that I feel a bit stressed writing this. The problem being, most days are two to four knots so hopeless. Might have learnt something.

Before
After
This evening I observed, to my horror that the rear cabinetry had parted company with the ceiling, pulling the screws. Yikes.

Unloaded probably twenty five books, encyclopaedias etc. that have been arranged in there over the last six months. Came up with a Heath-Robinson arrangement to push it all back up into place and hold it using the bottle jack, Teasel’s centreboard and the jack out of the borrowed Peugeut to stop the cupboard collapsing under the pressure. Departed for the local supermarket five minutes bike ride away for Araldite or similar and had to settle for a pressurised container of No More Nails. With little confidence I squirted the
Fyfe's purchase from Roman's shop
glue along the gap, running out before I was ready but did manage to get a good coating onto the screws also. Jacked it all up and inserted blocks to hold it overnight for the necessary twelve hours recommended as I know from bitter experience that bottle jacks sag. Didn’t run the air con in order to keep the ambient temperature up for the benefit of the glue. No particularly confident of a result and wouldn’t be surprised if there is a loud crack in the morning when I remove the jacks and the whole lot drops again.

Disco now not ready for collection till Monday.

Holyport - Jacqueline and Audrey

Audrey, Amelia, Holly & Theo 
Painting was the order of the day


2 comments:

  1. Lucky Mirrors are forgiving... like you we always found lake sailing an all or nothing experience in the Fireball too. Garda is the pick of the big lakes for sailing by far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky indeed. This lake is plenty big enough for little Mirror. Would have been a better day today.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.