Tuesday 17 April 2018

215. Tired

CARCASSONNE

Tyre and jockey wheel failure yesterday had today's priorities sorted. Unfortunately, as the tyre departed it punched a hole in the plastic inner mudguard and damaged the plastic valence that runs along the bottom of the caravan. The rear bumper side trim stayed on by one screw so that is one less thing to purchase when I eventually purchase a new rear bumper bar and tail lights to replace what we lost on the Lisbon bridge. Still not sure how I will repair the jockey wheel as the assembly is welded on.

Rose in the morning to find a generous breakfast spread laid out by Stephen and Lynda. After breakfast I tackled the wheels. Attached the caravan to the Disco and removed both wheels only to find that with no jockey wheel and the jack employed I couldn't remove the Disco to take said wheels to town. After a comedy of errors I was ready to go except for Audrey pointing out that her needs to go boating on the lake were greater. Remembered that workshops would be shut, midday till fourish.

Attempted to repair the centre case leak in Teasel with five minute Araldite but found after launching that the leak was not quite where I remembered. After a month in Morocco the ply was beautifully dry.

Took photographic evidence
to convince them
Found a tyre shop online in Carcassonne and once there had quite a bit of difficulty convincing them that I needed a tyre capable of being inflated to four and a half bar (65 psi) as per the plaque on the Giantavan. The existing tyres were also rated to six hundred kilograms load per tyre. The first tyre they produced was rated to three hundred and fifty kilograms then the next, four hundred and fifty. Eventually I persuaded them to order in a tyre which will take two to three days. I hope it is suitable.

Bonfire admirers
The sailors, lead by Audrey, had a great time on the lake in Teasel while I was away and on our return  found Stephen had gathered firewood for an evening bonfire in the camp fire place after a BBQ.

We sat around listening to The Archers, much to Stephen's disgust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.