Sunday 22 April 2018

220. Ripped Off

CARCASSONNE

The youngest three children had a huge day marking out the adjoining sites with signs and making roadways and parks demarcated with sticks recovered from the island, later to be used as firewood.

I fitted the tyre thanks to the new jack which at two tonnes is only just able to lift the Giantavan. Roman did the wheel nuts and was gagging to get to play with the new jack. He and sidekick Edward pumped the jack fully up then totally unwound the lowering valve so that when they pushed the ram down the jack jetted its oil over the grass - sigh. Must remember to refill it, I trust engine oil will suffice.

Dismantled the front of the drawbar to discover that the nut had not ripped of but had damaged its thread and that it was a floating part in a track. Both the track and the fitting were bent which proved a challenge straightening with my minimal tools. I can buy a new part relatively cheaply but need to work out where to ship it. I may go to a tool supplier and by a M8 tap to run down the damaged part in the meantime.

Refitted the sump plates to the Disco and think that we will move onto a camp near Avignon as there is a Land Rover Service Centre there. 

2 comments:

  1. Philip you and your family are certainly keeping Dee & I on the edge of our seats. Looking forward to your blogs daily. Enjoy your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, basically it is an account of my lack of judgement and underestimations

      Delete

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.