Thursday 11 October 2018

392. Homework

Rome

Had had thoughts of going into Rome today but the sheer volume of administrative stuff to be done as well as packing filled the whole day. Added to this was the pressing need to buy flights back to NZ at Christmas, it being a peak period.

Jacqueline spent a lot of time going through all Audrey’s diabetic supplies in order to determine hat we needed for the remainder of our trip and what I needed to collect on my return through the UK.

We also contacted Cashmere high, Fyfe and Iris’ school next year to make appointments for me to meet them while I am back in Christchurch next week.

Contacted Mary and Stuff and Matthew And Clare (friends met on this journey) to see what their movements are while we are back in the UK as well as family as we will miss them all once landlocked back in NZ next year. My Mum had been thinking of coming over for Christmas but her garden has taken revenge on her and cracked her rib which is keeping her quiet for the next wee while. Looking forward to staying with my Mum on her farm next weekend, hope she is up for flying with me next Saturday. I will endeavour to complete some circuits, on my own, Friday afternoon.

Have Elizabeth and my Mum’s enthusiastic recommendation we have booked to visit Harry Potter Studio Tour mid December when we are back in the UK. We are currently half way through the sixth book of seven, read by Stephen Fry.

Loaded the Apps into Jacqueline’s iPhone and schooled up Fyfe on reading and resetting OBDII fault codes in the likely event that the check engine light and other dash warning lights come up while the family are using the Disco. Really kicking myself for not insisting that the battery man use an external power supply on the Disco when he changed the main battery yesterday. Prior to changing the battery there were no fault codes. As it is a bluetooth device Fyfe will be able to do the reset while Jacqueline is driving. Hopefully he will resist the urge to play with the suspension and other settings.

Later in the afternoon Fyfe, Roman and I headed out to get a couple of bulbs for the Disco. After previous supply issues I was relieved to see a JLR dealer twenty minutes away. After a GPS fail where it took me to the motorway alongside then the phone lost data (for some reason the phone turned off data roaming at this point) so we turned off at the first opportunity and found a side street that we could stop on. Finally made it to the JLR centre only to discover that they did not have a workshop. The first salesman that I found didn't speak english but took me to his english speaking colleague who then, to the surprise of the first, simply stated "no english sorry". I gave up and headed for a workshop closer to home who insisted on fitting the bulbs even though he had no idea and was thrashing around. I had to interfere when he started forcing things. Finally sorted and twenty euro later for two bulbs, one single filament headlight and one button number plate bulb, I was on the road again. Obviously things have changed in the year I have been out of the automotive industry.

Have finally booked flights back to NZ. The only sensible deal that we could get was to arrive Christmas morning though it was galling to have to upgrade for one hundred pounds per seat so that we could sit together. We are now four adults and two children - yay for us. The flights cost twice as much as Jacqueline’s car when we purchased it. We are taking her car home as a Immigrant Importation as there are no taxes or duties applicable. Hopefully it will be ready for us when we arrive at Christmas. I’m confident the NZ family, on reading this, will seize the opportunity to shine. Probably should have got something a bit flasher but you have to have owned the car for more than a year so there we are. It is a junker in the UK due to its big two point four litre engine and fourteen years of service but a perfectly respectable car back in the second world that is NZ.

Spoke to our lovely letting agent Michelle telling her that we don’t need the house till the new year. The tenancy finishes at the end of November but it would be nice to have it tenanted for December however unlikely that is.

Very pleased with the campsite the family are at. Good services and great swimming pool. Hopefully Jacqueline can encourage them to get a bit more homework done.

Have brought the cuckoo clock with me as I should be able to recover the VAT at LHR tomorrow and it is valuable and kickable when we ship the Giantavan back to NZ. As it is going roll on, roll off I am sure the ships crew will go through everything while it is on the water.

2 comments:

  1. Let me know if you are going to be at Ashburton airfield. I would love to catch up for a chat

    Owen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Owen
      Hoping to be at NZAS Saturday morning.
      Regards Philip

      Delete

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.