Thursday 5 July 2018

294. The Parables

Raron, Switzerland 

YR (thank you Les for the App) tells me that the Matterhorn won't be visible till Saturday so that is the plan. Lots of time on the phone today, particularly long and lovely conversation with my amazing cousin Judith in Auckland.

This afternoon we walked up the hill behind us as there is a chapel clinging to the side of the hill with prayer stations on the way up.
Chapel in the centre with prayer stations dotted along
the zig-zag track.
We carried on to the top of the visible hill but a sign said there
was another hour and forty minutes to go at that point.
Met four English mountain bikers zooming down
having taken the gondola up.
Gave me an itch to give it a go
Spot the Giantavan?
Above the ice rink, only the awning visible
Each prayer point contained a parable
in the form of a 1m high stone carving set into the far wall.
The children were able to work them out which was nice,
the younger three from lessons at Holyport Church of England School,
Iris from her extensive reading. 
The most uncomfortable pews ever met.
One sort of perched with the back uncomfortably digging in.
Beautiful, calm, cool.
Scared myself tonight reading about the boys trapped in the cave in Thailand.

2 comments:

  1. I hope it was my 'Open the Book' assemblies that taught them about the parables!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No falling asleep during the sermon in those pews

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.