Sunday 22 July 2018

311. Angle

UNTERÄGERI - NEARISH TO ZÜRICH AND LUCERNE

16.4 kilometres, further than I thought
Unfortunately, there is no fairlead track
adjustment available
Board meeting tonight, starting for me at eleven pm, so a long chat with Richard and reading the board notes in preparation. After lunch the breeze was up so took the opportunity to go for a sail on Lake Agerisee, joining the camp. Launched in a good breeze, just strong enough to have me sitting on the gunnel, beating tight reaching up the lake. Sailing, wondering why the angle of attack is so poor I looked hard at the jib sheet angle and the sheet is pointing high into the jib. I recall that the jib sheet should be pointing, the line continued from the clew  of the way down the length of the jib forestay sail length. I think Teasel's sheet was pointing to the centre of the forestay. Noticed that Teasels jib was attached at the tack by a three inch loop of rope. Hove to and attached the tack directly to the eye, dropping the sail by three inches and the sheeting angle was improved. The result of this high sheeting angle is the leech is chocked when the jib is sheeted. Un-choking the leech results in a tight reach not close hauled as desired. Modification and further thinking required.

Tacked up the lake in the dying breeze, loving the views and just being there. There was a commercial fishing boat on the lake setting gill nets, the tourist boat, a couple of paddlers and me. The water was beautifully warm and as the breeze died I could hear the cow bells on the hills around me as I sailed close to the shore then eventually, I could hear the bells on both sides of the lake. Add to this was the pealing church bells as it is Sunday, a four hour sail - it was a day I will remember for the rest of my days.

Photos all taken on Romans little waterproof camera before it went flat.

Ready to go
Heading for Oberägeri
Jib high
The hand cut hillsides are beautiful.
Jib now low

1 comment:

  1. I'm speculating about the angle of Teasel's Gaff.... never mind Phillip's

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.