Thursday 16 August 2018

336. Stuck

ROHRBACH, GERMANY

Before
Taped
Base camp day today. Dishes, laundry, three days blog to catch up and the rotten annex, literally. While writing the blog the groundsman arrived, a little agitated I thought. Initially I worked out that we would have to move the Giantavan as our site was booked (no small feat) then eventually realised that he was saying that there was a package at reception for us. As Jacqueline said, why didn't he just bring it over. The package contained the spinnaker repair tape that I ordered late Monday night on eBay.de 

Removed the awning over the top of everything inside the awning, doubling the size of the tear in the process which was really frustrating. I had put tape at the end of the tear, both sides of the canvas, so the rip turned ninety degrees and tore off across the awning while the four of us were gingerly trying to remove it from the caravan. Iris helped me apply the spinnaker repair tape however I had not expectation of the tape working. At one stage Iris put her hand down to move herself over and her hand went straight through! My expectation was that the tape would fail when we re-erected the awning however I was wrong and it worked. Our awning is still available but although it is a brilliant awning there obviously is a problem with the light grey canvas. There is a very similar alternative awning but I am keen not to spend the money and throw away our current awning. Tomorrow I will visit a local hardware shop and see about gluing a canvas panel on top of the failing roof panel. Most likely I will then purchase a new awning anyway. 

Our caravan comes in all lengths, this
is 5m, ours 7.5m
Very popular in this camp.
Fyfe writing his dairy
In the afternoon Fyfe and I biked the two kilometres to the local supermarket and laden with eight litres of milk and about the same in water bottles plus groceries zoomed back to camp keeping up with the traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.