Monday 20 August 2018

340. Harden up

EGING, GERMANY

Got up and went straight into town to procure the necessary provisions to effect the repair on the cracks above the door. Took some organising and ended up getting the two millimetre plate at an agricultural engineering shop, cut to size while I perused the selection of lynch and drawbar pins. All very obliging for five euros. Took some time at the hardware store translating adhesive and paint descriptions to work out the best solution. By the time I had been to the supermarket also I returned very hungry, two and a half hours later, for my breakfast.

Fabricating the strengthening plate took the whole afternoon. I am very glad I made a template first as it is much easier to undo a mistake with cardboard than it is with aluminium - and there was plenty of undoing and re-glueing. 

I cut the outside curves by working my way in with ancient tin snips that I have with me. For the inner curves I used the twenty euro jigsaw that I purchased to cut the ply for the front locker while in Avignon. Removing and prepping the area to receive the plate was done with the cheap drill I purchased in Avignon and a non ferris wheel purchased today.

Now waiting for the automotive paint to harden overnight so that pressure can be applied while it bonds. I will probably use Teasel's mast and gaff pegged on a big angle to hold the plate in place while we go out for the day. The glue takes two hours to bond, twelve hours to set. 
Provisions. Mahogany is for strengthening the centre case
in Teasel, a project for another day. Three tubes of glue to ensure
there is enough. Aralidite is always useful. Spray bomb, non ferris
wire wheel and file set completes the purchase.
Already have a random orbital sander with us.
Frypan, that universal tool, was too small for the inner radius.
Rubbed the line out and started using paper.
Dinner plate, fourth item tried was the perfect radius
for the door. 
Roman took this snap (hence the angle) of me trying the template for size 
The finished template
Alloy cut, filed, prepped and painted
Paint removed from the area to receive the strengthening. 
Audrey doing maths homework this evening while I prep
the onions

2 comments:

  1. I feel sorry to read of your van problems, but feel your never say die attitude must be a big lesson to your children. Long may you continue to inspire them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Kaha, I wish the caravan would anyway!
      Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.