Thursday 23 August 2018

343. Screwed

Eging, Germany

Another trip to Passau was muted however I managed to extract myself by cutting a deal whereby I kept the younger two children with me at camp. Worked for me as I was keen to tackle the hole in Teasel, just forward of the centre case where a rock pushed a split into the dozy ply as this is the point where water collects if the boat is left out doors. Audrey and Roman had a lovely day playing around the Giantavan.

Additionally, the centre board case is lifting vertically for some reason, possibly the result of sitting on the ground but I doubt it as it is usually upside down on the ground or Disco for transportation and to keep water out. The thwart was so bowed that screws were popping and the thwart close to breaking in the centre were it is cut away for the centre board. I had to look and think quite a bit, a few days ago, before purchasing the timber to work out how I would effect a repair. I worked out that a parallel beam below, set on its edge would pull the thwart straight, pressing the centre case down into its original location or near to it and pulling up at the edges transferring the pressure back into the thwart. I know from bitter experience that on lightweight dingoes such as this you can't just lever things back into place. Luckily I had the large, six inch, G-clamp purchased to compress the Disco's callipers to replace the brake pads. The pressure required to bring everything back into line was quite surprising. As sixty millimetre screws were required I shot into the local hardware store before Jacqueline and the elder two children left and ended up with a pack of twenty five, self drilling, torx drive, stainless decking screws. Obviously I predrilled the holes for this job.
The purchased timber is cedar, sitting, prior to fitting.
You can see the bow in the thwart.
All lined up, and screwed in place
Bolt and braces 
Next was the split. The hull had collapsed inwards at this point.
Teasel needs reflooring but that is not an option while travelling.
The only solution was and external patch, extending well beyond the damage
and then screwing internally to pull the flooring back down.
Wire wheel bought for the Giantavan door strengthening was perfect
for ripping out old paint and bog for the length and width of the patch.
Had to drill from the outside to get screws aligned as
the patch covered both the cockpit floor and the spinnaker locker.
There is a slight bow down in the middle but I am pleased
with how the floor pulled into line.
The wood on the left is not proud as it appears in this snap.
[Double click snap to enlarge]
From the inside, floor now back in place.
Many screws!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.