Tuesday 1 May 2018

229. Mayday

Avignon

Wet morning, more board work, dry afternoon, more Giantavan maintenance.

Capped the last two beams with steel plate (eight ends take awhile) then added four straps to strengthen the failing C section (see snap below). Installed the first two metre beam and line drilled it for the eight millimetre threaded rod, cut to length (thank you Matthew for the threaded rod suggestion) that will tie the new beams to the damaged C section. Next, I will weld another identical two metre beam to the first for additional strength and rear mount for the new floor. First I will paint the beam surfaces to be welded together hopefully to reduce corrosion as the beams will be exposed to the elements when towing. Ideally I would galvanise the beams but that is more than I can manage here. If we bring the Giantavan to NZ I will remove all the beams, floor etc. and galvanise the beams then. Once the two beams are welded together I can start assembling the floor.  
Port end of beam, another identical to go on top.

4 comments:

  1. Very impressed with the welding Phillip. I guess you've not found time for a sail yet ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet in Avignon. Too much wind today and Disco fix time

      Delete
  2. My word, seems you are exercising talents you'd forgotten you'd ever had, well done. The range of tools now in the toolbox must be impressive, I reckon, if you do get Giantavan to NZ you'll be able to go into business as a travelling fix-it-chappie.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.