Thursday 17 May 2018

245. Service

VILLECROZE - PROVENCE

Yesterday afternoon when I started the Disco it was reluctant to start which is a first. It didn't want to move but I rolled into the local village for epoxy. Didn't admit yesterday that the "Check Engine" light had come up during that drive.  I must admit that I felt pretty despondent.

I guess they are a weed here
Today I drove to Land Rover Carretière to get the fault code read. I took a bike with me in case I had to leave the car. I really must purchase a OBDII reader myself. In my opinion I thought it might be the fuel filter as I have not changed it since I have had the car, two and a half years.

Lovely drive through the national park to Carretière and arrived at two thirty after they opened for the afternoon. All looked promising as it was a large facility with large workshops (you can see a theme developing). On enquiry about getting the code read the lovely receptionist said that all technicians were in Paris for training for the next two weeks but I could book in for June the twelfth! I asked if I might buy a fuel filter and she replied that they do not carry parts and that it would have to be ordered in. I, via Google translate, explained that they stock service items like oil, spark plugs and filters and could she ask the manager please. A man duly arrived, looked at the computer and fetched a filter. Luckily, via Rimmer Brothers excellent website I had worked out that mine is a late model with Disco Four bits. Turns out that they had both filters in stock!

Not a big road home
Parked a discrete distance away
I then went back to an automotive store I had spotted, bought a socket set and in their car park grovelled underneath and removed the heavy under shields.  Easy access with the suspension set to off-road. Had to refer to the web to find the filter, behind a heat shield. On determining I had the right part I drove home via the secondary route, via the lake - beautiful. The car sometimes ran perfectly and other times limped. Talking to help (ex-colleague, Mark Luney) in the UK he suggested air filter so I briefly removed it with no improvement. He also suggested air flow meter which is a good suggestion.

Camp workshop
Back at camp I installed the filter and reassembled. The filter had surface rust so needed changing. It started perfectly but yet to drive it. 

Tomorrow we are for St Tropez.

2 comments:

  1. Paying the “Disco tax again.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remarkably reasonable rate this time. Have ordered an OBDII code reader from Rimmer Bros in the UK.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.