Tuesday 15 May 2018

243. Surrounded

VILLECROZE - PROVENCE

Set up camp proper this morning in this deserted campsite, including erecting the very wet awning with a disgruntled Iris partly under it feeding the bolt rope of the awning into the track on the Giantavan. I am so glad that we did not get a bigger awning, at twenty two kilograms, including pegs and pump it is ideal and fits beside Iris in the back of the Disco perfectly. The Disco did not loose a drop of coolant which is pleasing.

On the drive here I noticed that the locker was a little low once on the road so have inserted, with trepidation, an extra piece of ply under each load point. I can watch the front corner of the Giantavan when driving and it is amazing how much the drawbar springs.

Surprised when I searched
In the afternoon we walked five minutes up the road to the nearest winery, Château de Majoulière. By chance, we have found ourselves in a very good wine region. Jacqueline is delighted as this is one of the things she wanted to do while in the region.

When we rang the bell the vintner appeared on the run which was amusing, gave us a great welcome and we sampled about six wines, two rosé, a white and three reds. Having small children with us certainly speeds the process. I asked if we could look through the facility and I was amazed how little equipment was required for an eleven hectare (twenty seven acre) winery, the same size as my Mothers place. I think you could set up the whole places machinery for less than the price of a combine harvester though I do remember my shock when my parents bought their Claas Dominator in the early nineties for over two hundred thousand. The press was a small gravity fed continuous flow device with a few hydraulics and small motors. The most expensive thing was the flash, immaculately clean harvesting trailer with high lift to tip into the press. The whole operation was done with one thirty kilowatt tractor.

Over the last couple of days an irritating sty developed in my left hand eye. I haven't had one before. Jacqueline proved to be a bit of an expert and in the end we lanced it with one of Audrey's diabetic needles. Not a pleasant process and I had to have a bit of me time afterwards but woke this morning with my eye glues closed which was a good result.

Wine tasting


Iris


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.