Wednesday 9 May 2018

237. Pontification

Avignon

Tomorrow's breeze
Roman was supervising the bridge
Woke at three am, my head full of what if the current is greater than Teasels boat speed? Where will I end up, how would I recover the boat? That happens if I end up at a massive lock? Online research at three thirty am wouldn't disclose the speed of the Rhone not did I have any real idea as to the performance of a Mirror Dinghy upwind in a ten knots breeze. This morning on rising my fist job was to bike upstream till I found a decent stick or debris floating down stream. Biking along side I determined on GPS that the current was less than two knots so I should be able to better that. 

Top 
Rigged teasel alongside the Giantavan however the wind didn't get over ten knots in my opinion so we decided to visit the Palais des Papes. Roman presented a strong case for taking the ferry (we succumbed) so we biked down and caught the ferry then biked on into town. Prior to departing I reconciled the children's current accounts with their earning money on completing modules in Mathsbuddy and Duolingo. Roman was feeling the power of his amused fortune and declared that he would pay for the double decker merry go round himself. On arriving at the same I discovered that there was a six ride deal for ten Euro so we all had a go, parental slate. The three eldest children elected for the Teacup.  I was briefly tempted but knew I would suffer. Just before the ride started a little boy joined them and I was a little concerned but he proved to be of sterner stuff. Fyfe sat with his eyes closed for the last couple of minutes and felt very green on disembarking.




The forty five Euro family entry felt steep but we each got a tablet that gave a good narrative and superimposed fourteenth century graphics over the rooms before up. It was all most interesting and took us two and a half hours to progress through. Didn't even see the children after the first half hour. Learnt on departing that Fyfe threw up twice in the courtyard and felt much better. Maybe this is how young Kiwi men get their reputation overseas?
Certainly brings it all to life

Sur le pont d'Avignon

Campsite, over river, on the right

Very grand

Gift shop

His pockets didn't extend this far

Iris' did, she is delighted and wore it the rest of the afternoon


2 comments:

  1. Great to see the back of “Fix it Duck” a great book by Jez Alborough, hoping for The return of “Captain Duck “ in Teasle tomorrow. Fair winds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, Captn. Duck was a fool I recall. Read on Lizzie

      Delete

Please feel free to comment as I often feel like I am writing in a vacuum.